Waste Emissions and Recycling
Waste Management and Reduction of Waste Generated
Kureha is working to reduce our volume of waste for final landfill by both curbing the amount of, and actively recycling, waste discarded by our production activities.
At the Iwaki Factory, we are working to increase the percentage of recycling by outsourcing coal ash produced by the coal-fired power plant to a recycling company as a raw material for cement and other materials. We are also working to reduce waste generation at each manufacturing plant by improving production efficiency; however, due to increased production, the amounts of industrial waste generated and at final landfill remains unchanged. We will continue to work for further reductions through stable plant operation, development of high-efficiency processes, and introduction of new recycling technologies.
At the plastics processing factories we are also actively working to curb production losses and to not only develop products that use these production losses, but also to recycle these losses. In fiscal 2020, we updated our disposal method to reduce the amount for final landfill of polyvinylidene chloride waste, which accounts for the majority of our waste, to zero. We gradually reduced the amount of landfill waste and since February 2021 have been achieving our goal of zero final-deposit waste. As a result, the amount of polyvinylidene chloride sent to the landfill in fiscal 2020 achieved the approximate 30% reduction of the initial plan, and the final landfill amount is expected to be zero from fiscal 2021 onward. Promoting recycling and reducing final disposal quantities are important issues at Kureha, and we will continue to strive toward the goal of zero industrial waste emissions.
Waste at Final Depositing
Awareness of Efforts on Marine Plastic Pollution and Recycling of Plastics
As a company, we must reduce our impact on the natural environment as much as possible for the development of a sustainable society. We, as a Group that manufactures and sells plastic products and materials, have a responsibility to work for environmentally friendly production activities as we continue to provide technology-based products and services that target various environmental issues, such as global warming, water problems, marine plastic pollution, and resource recycling. The Kureha Group will continue to protect our rich natural environment by promoting environmentally-conscious initiatives at every stage of the supply chain, including R&D, manufacturing, sales, collection, and disposal.
Kureha Group's Environmental Awareness and Initiatives
As a plastics manufacturer, the Kureha Group has the following basic awareness of environmental issues:
Plastics have a wide variety of uses and, when their unique characteristics are effectively utilized, they contribute to such things as increasing energy efficiency and reducing food loss.
However, since their recycling rate is still quite low and because they are improperly disposed of, they end up as marine plastic waste, becoming a huge factor in environmental pollution.
We at the Kureha Group believe it is necessary to participate in the global effort toward:
1. Development of a plastic recycling system, and
2. Prevention of pollution by marine plastic waste.
In order to fulfill our corporate social responsibility, the Kureha Group is taking the following measures against these issues:
Promoting the three R's (reduce, reuse, and recycle)
- Reducing losses, and examining ways to reuse and recycle, in the manufacturing process
- Promoting environmental businesses such as recycling and heat recovery technologies
Responding in product design and development
- Designing products which reduce household waste and simplify the task of garbage separation
- Reducing raw materials used while maintaining functionality
- Developing biodegradable plastic products such as PGA degradable plugs
Promoting efforts to prevent littering on land and into the ocean
- Raising consumer awareness through proper labeling of product disposal
- Preventing plastic waste leaking into water bodies during the manufacturing process
- Collaborating with local and regional governments to eradicate littering and illegal dumping
- Promoting cleanup efforts around each business site and neighboring areas
We will continue to make sincere efforts, together with industry groups, to fulfill our corporate responsibility to preserve the natural environment according to the policies and plans of the international community and Japanese government.
- Message from the President
- Kureha Group's CSR
- CSR Material Issues
- Environmental Report
- Social Report
- Governance Report
- Environmentally and Socially Friendly Products
- GRI Standards Content Index/Comparison with ISO 26000
- ESG Data Collection
- CSR Report Archive
- CSR Site Editing Policy and Contents of the Report